People with spina bifida can develop sores, calluses, blisters, and burns on their feet, ankles, and hips. However, they might not know when these develop because they might not be able to feel certain parts of their body.
Ways to help protect the skin:
- Check the skin regularly for redness, including under braces.
- Try to avoid hot bath water, hot irons and hot or unpadded seatbelt clasps that may cause burns.
- Make sure to wear properly fitting shoes at all times.
- Use sunscreen and don’t stay out in the sun too long.
- Do not sit or lie in one position for too long.
For more information, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website page on spina bifida